Condo Owners Association COA

Energy and Water Reporting

Energy Consumption and Water Use

Reporting Requirements


Multi-unit residential buildings including condominiums that are 50,000 square feet or greater with more than 10 units are required to report their energy and water use and GHG emissions to the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines annually by July 1st.  Ontario Regulation. 506/18, Reporting of Energy Consumption and Water Use (EWRB) is being phased in over 3 years, and in 2019, buildings that are 100,000 square feet or greater are required to report.

Details can be found at:

Reducing Your Costs

Energy use is one of the largest operating expenses in commercial and residential buildings.

It represents about 1/3 of typical building operating budgets.
The largest barrier to identifying cost efficiencies and making existing buildings more efficient is a lack of access to the data needed to measure and track energy performance.
Building that benchmark in other jurisdictions have shown as much as a 10% decrease in energy use in commercial buildings that implemented a small number of energy-efficiency strategies and monitoring systems.
The vast majority of buildings that benchmark have taken steps to improve performance by investing in low- or no-cost changes.


Fighting Climate change 

By reducing your energy and water consumption you also help to reduce greenhouse gas pollution and fight climate change..  One of the main reasons is that buildings account for 19 per cent of Ontario's total greenhouse emissions.  Comparing your condominium to similar buildings will help  condominiums identify ways to reduce usage and costs

Mandatory Reporting System 

The guidelines are very specific please view this link:

Reporting being phased in over three years.
Please note your first deadline date:  
  1. Commercial and Industrial buildings first report - July 1, 2018
  2. Condominium Multi-Residential Buildings - first report July 1, 2019

The steps to report, including obtaining your EWRB ID, are noted on the Provincial Government website. The website also includes information on the Portfolio Manager (PM) on-line reporting tool and a link to a Guide on how to report in PM.  
In your second year of reporting your building's energy and water use intensity (how much is used per square foot/meter) will be made public on Ontario’s Open Data website catalogue.  
Read 5489 times

Related items

More in this category: « Ontario's Condo Guide